It has been reported that up to 3% of adult cancers may be the result of diagnostic x-rays earlier in life. Because many sinus sufferers require frequent cat scans to follow disease state and polyps, we implemented Cone Beam Cat Scanning as soon as the technology was available. This allows us to safely and appropriately order and review imaging with patients. Cone Beam Cat Scanning is based on dental panoramic x-ray machines. This technology allows us to view the inside of your sinus passageways using a very low x-ray dose.
The advantages include:
1. Significant reduction in radiation exposure; in some cases, 95% less radiation than traditional helical cat scans at the hospital.
2. Significant cost reduction when compared to hospital billing.
3. Speed, most protocols can be completed in 10 to 20 seconds.
4. Variable Dosing, for children, the exposure time can be minimized to under 8 seconds with the least possible x-ray dose.
5. Comfort, patients are in a seated position resting their chin on the device.
6. Convenience, images are reconstructed and viewed with the patient within 5 minutes of scanning (This saves a return office visit to review scans).
We also offer CBCT for dental evaluations and as a service for area physicians to obtain screening sinus cat scans. Most patients can be worked in the very same day and for those patients without insurance coverage or high deductibles, we can offer competitive pricing far less than hospitals and imaging centers.